Do I Have Gum Disease?

Request a Callback

Do I Have Gum Disease?

Several symptoms can indicate that you are suffering from gum disease. The most common symptoms are bleeding gums, losing teeth, and becoming longer.

Bleeding gums

Your gums should not bleed and should always look pink. If they start to look red, swollen or if they are bleeding – when you bite into food and when you brush your teeth (even gently), there is a good chance you have some form of gum disease. Occasionally, the bleeding is actually spontaneous without a stimulus.

Loose teeth

If your teeth start to become "wobbly", it's a sign that gum disease is destroying the bone and gums that support them and usually, this is a sign of advanced gum disease. As teeth become loose, they can drift apart, and ugly dark triangles appear between them. These are symptoms of periodontitis. Treatment is required to prevent further damage. If gum disease is left untreated, loose teeth can become lost teeth. Treatment is necessary to prevent further damage.

Gum Recession

Another sign of gum disease is that you notice gum recession which makes you look "Long in the tooth". Receding gums is a very common sign of gum disease.

Possible prognosis and treatment advice

Symptoms such as swollen gums red and bleeding gums indicate that you have gingivitis. Bleeding gums (especially if they bleed easily or spontaneously), receding gums, wobbly teeth, and bad breath suggests that you may have the more severe form of gum disease known as periodontitis. But note that other factors can cause bad breath and receding gums.

Patient testimonial: Priyal's story of how shocked she was that she had gum disease.

In all cases, if you have any of these symptoms, make an appointment to see us as soon as possible. Periodontists specialise in treating gum diseases and will therefore be able to look after you. Please complete the form below.

Request a Callback

linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram